candy dangers for petsHalloween isn’t just the time of year when you dress your pet up and bring them to see us for a happy visit. It’s also that time of year when all the grocery stores put the candy on sale, and families like yours stock up to get ready for Halloween. What you don’t know could land your pet in the vet’s emergency clinic. Judging from increased emergency room visits during this time of year, Halloween is a very dangerous time for pets. Take a look at the very real dangers for your pet lurking in colorful Halloween treat bags:

1. The Chilling Chocolate. Although dark chocolate is touted for health benefits for humans, the same dark chocolate is lethal for your dog, cat or ferret. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. And yes, fudgy brownies and chocolate cake are also off-limits to your hungry Jack (Russell.) Symptoms of chocolate poisoning are vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate and even seizures and death. By the way, this is the most common indulgence of Town N Country’s emergency clientele.

2. Hair-raising Raisins.
Grapes are toxic, and raisins (being more concentrated) are even more so. Keep these tempting sweet jewels out of paws’ reach. You may suspect that your pet got into these treats if you notice your pet having signs of vomiting, decreased appetite, lethargy, abdominal pain and kidney failure.

3. Startling Sugarless Gum.
This treat will certainly keep your children’s teeth healthy, but just 3 grams of the ingredient Xylitol can be deadly to a 65 pound dog. Although gum sizes and contents vary, as little as 8-10 pieces for a large dog and 1-2 for a small dog could set off severe hypoglycemia and even liver failure in a very short time. Symptoms include lethargy, seizure, collapse and vomiting.

4. Wrapping, Wrapping Nevermore.
Think lollipops, candy necklaces, candy rings or any treat with plastic parts and paper. If these are ingested, intestinal obstruction and rupture of intestines could land your sweet-toothed pet in emergency care.

Good prevention is the best approach, but at times, the best laid plans prove insufficient. If you suspect that your sugar hound or sweet baby kitty has gotten into the candy stash, don’t hesitate to give us a call. Timely intervention can make all the difference.