Fleas, horrible fleas! Dastardly yet quiet
Cute doggies and cats — their favorite diet.
Looking for fresh blood — why can’t they just buy it?
Fleas, Bloodsucking fleas! Horrible Fleas!
Go away, please!!!
the tune of Oliver’s Food Glorious Food
Fleas. They’re the number one cause of allergic reactions in cats and dogs. Fleas are a menace year round, but the warmer spring weather means your pet’s more at risk.
If your pet’s been scratching a lot lately, it could be fleas – even if you can’t see them. A single flea can make your pet itch miserably. Plus, some pets are so skilled at self-grooming that they lick away any physical evidence. All you’re left with is the after-effect of a highly irritating allergen. Take a closer look for tiny red bumps, especially at the neck, the tail or anywhere hair is thin.
The good news is that the problem of fleas is easily preventable. Talk to us about these possible solutions:
1. Shut that mouth. Trifexis®. paralyzes the flea’s mouth within 30 minutes when it bites your treated dog. Effective for 30 days, it also protects your dog from heartworms, roundworms, hookworms and whipworms.
2. Put a Cap on it. Capstar® is a similar product to TrifexisR but its effectiveness lasts only for 24 hours rather than 30 days. Talk to your vet about what’s best for your pet.
3. Stop the reaction. Apoquel® is an drug that acts in the skin to stop the itch. Read more about it here.
4. Attack outside and inside. Environmental treatment for your house and/or yard may be recommended, depending on your individual case.
5. Keep it consistent. Vectra 3D® provides broad spectrum protection against ticks, mosquitoes, lice, biting flies and fleas. A highly allergic pet may need this type of long-term, consistent protection.
6. Treat the symptoms. If your pet’s dealing with watery eyes, dermatitis or itchiness, antihistamines, steroids, antibiotics or antifungals can help your pet feel more comfortable until the fleas are completely gone.
Did you notice that flea shampoo didn’t make the list of solutions? That’s because flea shampoo only gets rid of fleas temporarily. Nothing prevents a fresh batch of fleas from jumping on your newly cleaned up pet.
If you suspect your dog or cat might have fleas, give Town N Country a call. A simple assessment can determine what’s going on and establish the best solution for your pet’s relief and good health. Help your pet say “No, thank you!” to pesky, blood-sucking fleas, and sing a healthy, happy song instead!